||Edwin B. Worthen Collection
|Date of photo
||Lexington Drum Corps after a rehearsal show, 1899
"This important factor in the later history of Lexington came into being in 1893, and as that was before the Old Belfry Club House was erected, our Drum Corps may class as one of the oldest active organizations in town. We owed everything to Mr. F. E. Ballard, for he permitted us to hold our noisy rehearsals in his shed. And, as far as we knew, the neighbors took the position that if Mr. & Mrs. Ballard could stand the racket, they could.
Mr. Butler, Ms. Cary's brother, was our guardian angel and helped to make our annual ball a success. That Drum Corps dance was the social event of the year. We practiced diligently, paraded manfully, had the whole-hearted support of the entire town, and had a wonderful good time.
This picture, taken about 1899 at the conclusion of a rehearsal shows: lower left-hand corner Roger Greeley; lower right corner Bill Moakley. Left side Ernest Nichols - above him Ken Redman. Next to Ernest is George P. Smith - above him, left side, Chester Hutchinson. In center blowing horn Arthur F. Turner; beside him blowing on a bicycle pump Louis L. Crone. Peeking out from behind the horn, left side, Ed Stone; right side, Ted Worthen. Blowing cornet Lester Redman; beside him Bob Moakley; below, one ear of Walter Ballard; upper right hand corner Zadoc Sherman; and down in front Jimmie Smith."
(Cataloger's note: Narrative description includes a diagram of who's who)
||Ballard, Walter C.
Crone, Louis L.
Greeley, William Roger
Hutchinson, J. Chester
Redman, Lester T.
Smith, James W.
Stone, Edward C.
Worthen, Edwin B., Sr.
||Lexington Drum Corps
Battle of Lexington commemorations
||Lexington Drum Corps, 1899