Exhibit 1: Lantern Slides
Lantern Slides

Previous Next Lantern Slides Return to Exhibit Page Return to Home Page Search This Exhibit
Record 192/301
Cary Memorial Library 2011. All rights reserved.
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Edwin B. Worthen Collection
Date of photo 1885
Description Lexington Common about 1885.

This is a very good view of the Common, as the older residents remember it. The stone posts and the fence of rails set edge-wise. Directly back of the pulpit rock is the elm set out by President Grant April 19, 1875.

For many years the Common was used for cattle fairs, musters and as a baseball and football field. This continued until 1884 when Reverend Mr. Staples and Reverend Mr. Porter took the lead in restoring the Common to its hallowed place."
Object ID Worthen.slide7
Object Name Transparency, Lantern-slide
Search Terms Minuteman Memorial (obelisk on the common)
Battle Green
Lexington Common
Subjects Monuments
Monuments & memorials
Memorials
Town common
Title Lexington Common, 1885
The Edwin B. Worthen Collection, Cary Memorial Library

Cary Memorial Library 1874 Massachusetts Avenue . Lexington, MA 02420 781-862-6288 | Fax 781-862-7355 www.carylibrary.org   
Last modified on: April 29, 2014