Exhibit 1: Lantern Slides
Lantern Slides

Previous Next Lantern Slides Return to Exhibit Page Return to Home Page Search This Exhibit
Record 175/301
Cary Memorial Library 2011. All rights reserved.
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Edwin B. Worthen Collection
Date of photo 1895
Description Muzzey homestead and Keeley Institute.

"The fine old Muzzey house was built about 1800 [1834]. Stood where the Edison Station is located. Next above it where now is a block erected at Philadelphia in 1875 for the Massachusetts Building at the Centennial Exhibition. Mr. Muzzey bought it and had it taken down and shipped to Lexington. He used it as a Hotel, the Massachusetts House, and was the scene of many gay parties, especially in the sleighing season. About 1892 it was purchased by the Keeley Institute fo the cure of drug and liquor habits. We saw some weird sights, and also some well-known men who came here for the cure. There was local patronage too. Our local paper says: "four well-known residents of Lexington have taken the Keeley Cure and apparently are cured, a fifth now undergoing a double course."

The Muzzey property was a fine country estate, for the Muzzeys were early in Lexington and at one time owned 200 acres of land above Vine Brook. In those early years their mill and dam were across the street from the house, near it was their cranberry bog. Stretching from the mansion house down to the brook was a fine old formal garden, and Vine Brook as dammed to make a formal pool. It must have been onf the showplaces of the Town."
Object ID Worthen.slide53
Object Name Transparency, Lantern-slide
People Muzzey
Search Terms Centennial Exposition
Edison Station
Keeley Institute
Muzzey Mansion
Vine Brook
Massachusetts House
Subjects Buildings
Cranberry bog
Dams
Farms
Hotels
Institutions, learning
Mills
Town center
Title Muzzey homestead and Keeley Institute
The Edwin B. Worthen Collection, Cary Memorial Library

Cary Memorial Library 1874 Massachusetts Avenue . Lexington, MA 02420 781-862-6288 | Fax 781-862-7355 www.carylibrary.org   
Last modified on: April 29, 2014