Previous Next
Record 166/301
Description 
Dio Lewis School building with pupils, 1866. "Yes this building and all these nice young ladies were here in Lexington. The building stood on the [Massachusetts] Avenue about opposite Waltham Street. An earlier building, built in 1802 for a tavern by Amos Muzzey and called the Monument House, stood on this spot. It was torn down and this imposing building erected in 1847. 1802 to 1847 the days when taverns flourished - and this was one of the busiest of them. In 1864, Dr. Dio Lewis purchased the property and opened a girls seminary. At one time there were 144 pupils. Dr. Lewis was almost a pioneer in physical training for women. Building burned in 1867 and Dio Lewis transferred his school to the building, formerly a hotel, on the south side of Spy Pond in Arlington."
Lantern Slides -Dio Lewis school with pupils, 1866 -Cary Memorial Library 2011. All rights reserved.
Image
Dio Lewis school, with pupils
001\19761EBWs045.JPG

The Edwin B. Worthen Collection, Cary Memorial Library

Cary Memorial Library 1874 Massachusetts Avenue . Lexington, MA 02420 781-862-6288 | Fax 781-862-7355 www.carylibrary.org   
Last modified on: April 29, 2014