||Edwin B. Worthen Collection
|Date of photo
||Dio Lewis School building with pupils, 1866.
"Yes this building and all these nice young ladies were here in Lexington. The building stood on the [Massachusetts] Avenue about opposite Waltham Street. An earlier building, built in 1802 for a tavern by Amos Muzzey and called the Monument House, stood on this spot. It was torn down and this imposing building erected in 1847. 1802 to 1847 the days when taverns flourished - and this was one of the busiest of them. In 1864, Dr. Dio Lewis purchased the property and opened a girls seminary. At one time there were 144 pupils. Dr. Lewis was almost a pioneer in physical training for women. Building burned in 1867 and Dio Lewis transferred his school to the building, formerly a hotel, on the south side of Spy Pond in Arlington."
||Lewis, Dioclesian "Dio"
||Dio Lewis School
Monument House, Massachusetts Avenue #1733
Massachusetts Avenue #1733, Monument House
||Education of girls
||Dio Lewis school with pupils, 1866