Exhibit 1: Lantern Slides
Lantern Slides

Previous Next Lantern Slides Return to Exhibit Page Return to Home Page Search This Exhibit
Record 156/301
Cary Memorial Library 2011. All rights reserved.
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Edwin B. Worthen Collection
Date of photo 1875
Description Captain Phelps house (now Viano's Theater), 1875.

"This long, low house stood where Viano's Theatre now is. It is now located in back of the Theatre. Built around 1800. Captain Phelps, the father of Mrs. Goodwin, lived there for many years. In the upper end where you see the small door was a room used - a hundred years ago - as a library by the Farmers' Library Club. They were about 75 members and the library consisted of 400 volumes. In that same small room at the right end the Lexington Savings Bank opened for business June 3, 1871. In this house Dr. Saltmarsh had his office. Dr. Piper was located there for some years and even later Dr. Shannon.

Mrs. Goodwin was born here (in Jonathan Harrington house?) but at the time of her marriage in 1862 Mr. Goodwin built the house No. _ Muzzey Street and they lived there for many years. Subsequently it was occupied by Willard Walcott who carried on an extensive livery stable, and in recent years by Mr. & Mrs. Byron C. Earle."
Object ID Worthen.slide36
Object Name Transparency, Lantern-slide
People Earle, Byron C.
Earle, Byron C. (Mrs.)
Goodwin (Mrs.)
Phelps
Piper
Saltmarsh, Seth
Shannon
Walcott, Willard
Search Terms Viano's Theatre
Lexington Savings Bank
Farmers' Library Club
Muzzey Street
Captain Phelps House
Subjects Banks
Businesses
Libraries
Livery Stable
Physicians
Title Captain Phelps house, 1875
The Edwin B. Worthen Collection, Cary Memorial Library

Cary Memorial Library 1874 Massachusetts Avenue . Lexington, MA 02420 781-862-6288 | Fax 781-862-7355 www.carylibrary.org   
Last modified on: April 29, 2014