Exhibit 1: Lantern Slides
Lantern Slides

Previous Next Lantern Slides Return to Exhibit Page Return to Home Page Search This Exhibit
Record 154/301
Cary Memorial Library 2011. All rights reserved.
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Edwin B. Worthen Collection
Date of photo 1888
Description Lexington Trust Company site, Muzzey Street, 1888.

"This is the site of the Lexington Trust Company at the corner of Muzzey Street as it looked in 1888. The house was built by a Boston merchant named Andrew Solis about 1840. The earlier hotel opposite Waltham Street - later used by Dio Lewis for a girl's school - having burned, the same name, Monument House, was given to this hotel. It was conducted by Mr. Charles Adair, but in the year this picture was taken his brother-in-law Mr. John Morrow was in charge. Mrs. Morrow is sitting in the carriage. The land near this corner has from early times been in the business center of the town. I have already spoken of the house and blacksmith shop where the Arcade is located. Around 1850 (too late?) Mr. Chittenden made clocks in a small building in the rear about where the present blacksmith shop is located. Then for many years Mr. Willard Walcott and then John Rose had a large livery stable directly back of Smith's store. This big stable was moved down from where Mr. William Greeley lives at 1948 Massachusetts Avenue. Mr. Richard Blinn, the former owner, carried on a fine stock farm utilizing much of the land from Belfry Hill to Parker Street, calling it 'Belfy Hill Stock Farm.' "
Object ID Worthen.slide34
Object Name Transparency, Lantern-slide
People Adair, Charles
Chittenden
Greeley, William Roger
Lewis, Dioclesian "Dio"
Morrow, John
Morrow, John (Mrs.)
Rose, John
Solis, Andrew
Wolcott, Willard
Search Terms Belfry Hill
Belfry Hill Stock Farm
Lexington Center
Lexington Trust Company
Massachusetts Avenue #1948
Monument House, Massachusetts Avenue #1733
Massachusetts Avenue #1733, Monument House
Muzzey Street
Parker Street
Subjects Banks
Blacksmith shops
Business Center
Businesses
Hotels
Livery Stable
Schools
Title Lexington Trust Company site, 1888
The Edwin B. Worthen Collection, Cary Memorial Library

Cary Memorial Library 1874 Massachusetts Avenue . Lexington, MA 02420 781-862-6288 | Fax 781-862-7355 www.carylibrary.org   
Last modified on: April 29, 2014