Previous Next
Record 139/301
Description 
The Rustic Theatre at Lexington Park. "Boardman's Grove, comprising 48 acres on the line between Lexington and Bedford was purchased by the Middlesex & Boston Stub Railway Company in 1901 and the park was opened soon after. Here were many forms of amusement, as one entered the gate. The bear pit was on the right and beyond it a spring and pool. The rustic theatre was next, on the left the audiences facing toward Bedford Street. Seating capacity was 3000 and shows were given both afternoon and evening. There was a ladies orchestra. The entertainment was a bit of light opera, musical comedy but largely vaudeville. Continuing up hill beyond the theatre was a retiring room for women and children, restaurant and bowling alley and a dance hall. On the other side (toward the Bedford line) were the cages and enclosures for the animals. No one who went there will ever forget the big buffalo and the monkeys. Beyond was a baseball diamond and a general playground for children with swings, etc. The landscaping throughout the big pine grove was well done, attractive and restful. The Park was under the direction of John Benson who, after the Park closed, carried on Benson Animal Farm in New Hampshire. The Park closed in 1916 or 1917 and was succeeded by Norumbega Park."
Lantern Slides -Rustic Theatre, Lexington Park -Cary Memorial Library 2011. All rights reserved.
Image
Rustic Theater, Lexington Park
001\Worthenslide221.JPG

The Edwin B. Worthen Collection, Cary Memorial Library

Cary Memorial Library 1874 Massachusetts Avenue . Lexington, MA 02420 781-862-6288 | Fax 781-862-7355 www.carylibrary.org   
Last modified on: April 29, 2014