Exhibit 1: Lantern Slides
Lantern Slides

Previous Next Lantern Slides Return to Exhibit Page Return to Home Page Search This Exhibit
Record 41/301
Cary Memorial Library 2011. All rights reserved.
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Edwin B. Worthen Collection
Date of photo 1895
Description Original Adams School, East Lexington.

"Adams School, East Lexington, the first school house in East Lexington, so far as I can learn, was erected on Pleasant Street just beyond Follen Road, near the so-called Bridle Path leading up the hill. (There are ample records of a school house as early as 1804.) It was a private school in 1820 though it may have been a school conducted by the district at an even earlier date. In January 1829 Nathan Brooks, Adm. Est. of Eleanor Swan, for the sum of $90 deeded to the town the old Adams School lot containing 1/4 acres. On this lot in 1830 the town erected the building in this picture for a public school. In 1837 this building was moved across Massachusetts Avenue to near lower Curve Street where the filling station now is. It was used as a store for some years. The building and lot were sold to Thaddeus Munroe for $225 in 1843. Thaddeus was Howard Munroe's grandfather, and it remained in the Munroe family until it was torn down, and the house, just below, occupied by the Misses Fiske was moved to Curve Street in 1925. This picture taken about 1895 when the building was occupied by Carl Mandelborg as a carriage shop."
Object ID Worthen.slide135
Object Name Transparency, Lantern-slide
People Brooks, Nathan
Fiske
Mandleberg, Carl
Munroe, Howard
Munroe, Thaddeus
Swan, Eleanor
Fiske, Carrie
Search Terms Adams School (First, prior to 1830)
East Lexington
Mandelborg carriage shop, Curve Street
Subjects Advertisements
Carriage shops
Public schools
School buildings
School houses
Shops
Signs
Title Adams School (Second, 1830- ), East Lexington
The Edwin B. Worthen Collection, Cary Memorial Library

Cary Memorial Library 1874 Massachusetts Avenue . Lexington, MA 02420 781-862-6288 | Fax 781-862-7355 www.carylibrary.org   
Last modified on: April 29, 2014