Previous Next
Record 2/301
Description 
Marrett Munroe (Monroe) House, 1875. "This is the house occupied by Mr. Tenney on the south side of Hancock Church. This view was taken April 19, 1875 but the place presented much the same appearance until Mr. Leroy Brown purchased the property in [about 1915] and moved the house back [forward?] and did considerable restoration. John Munroe lived as early as 1690 where the Hancock School now stands. He brewed beer and malt so Clarke Street was called Malt Lane. He built this house on the Avenue in 1729 for his son Marrett. The older citizens will always think of it as Mr. Saville's house for he lived there for many years. Notice the deep ruts in the muddy street."
Lantern Slides -Marrett Munroe (Monroe) House, 1875 -Cary Memorial Library 2011. All rights reserved.
Image
Marrett Munroe House
001\19761EBWs010.JPG

The Edwin B. Worthen Collection, Cary Memorial Library

Cary Memorial Library 1874 Massachusetts Avenue . Lexington, MA 02420 781-862-6288 | Fax 781-862-7355 www.carylibrary.org   
Last modified on: April 29, 2014